Quad Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Quad Forums > Manufacturer Specific ATV Discussions > Yamaha ATV Forums

Yamaha ATV Forums Raptor 700/660R, YFZ450, Wolverine 450/350 (4x4), Raptor 350/Warrior 350, Banshee, Blaster, Raptor 80, Raptor 50, Yamaha Utility Quads (Grizzly, Kodiak, Big Bear, Bruin)

Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 AM

1998 yamaha warrior 350 wont start can anyone help

ok here's the the thing it starts when its cold but after you ride it for a little then shut it down and try to start it again nothing happens....and i thing the problem is coming from the reverse lever cause if you shit it to reverse it engages but when you shit into drive it doesnt get any power....if i replace the reverse lever will this fix my problem??? any suggestions??
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

How long have you had this bike? How long have you had this problem, Does the bike have any engine work done? I don't inderstand your train of thought between the bike working for cold starts and not for hot starts and linking that to the revese lever. If you had something wrong with the transmission I would think the bike would start hot or cold.

The reason I asked about the engine work is because a few years ago my dad had a similar problem with a 2005 polaris edge touring skidoo, and if your in to skidooing (snow mobiling) you will know this model had several defects. Dad actually was on his 4th engine when he got rid of her, all warranty work thankfully! One perticular case we were on a night ride and he was leading and at one point, not that far into the ride he pulled over because he lost power and the engine died. Would not restart, so we tied her to the back of my sled and started the tow back to the truck. After a half hour and about half way back to the truck we stoped and he happend to get the the idea to try to start her and she did. He managed to ride her back to the truck from there. The problem we had was the piston was oversized for the cylinder and as it heated up while she was in use the piston expanded and jammed into the cylinder wall. While we were towing her and the engine was off the cylinder had time to cool back down and shink. Thats why it started a half hour later and lasted long enough to get us back to the truck.
K&N Air Filter
Power Madd Hand Guards

250 Moto 4 (Under Construction)
Project Bike
Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 PM

i just got it over the weekend, supposedly it is bored 30 over and has a hot cam. It never died while it riding it, although i havent rode it for more than 15min yet but the problem im having so far only happens when you shut it down then try and start it back up again.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 PM

and i linked it to the reverse lever because when i go to start it up when its cold it gets power in the drive and reverse position but once warm it doesnt get power in the drive position....the bike will be in neutral but the light doesnt come on
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I personally am not a fan of doing serious engine mods such as boring unless you are a serious racer, it just opens up too many cans of worms and can cause problems such as this. I don't think the got cam should be causing you any grief, should just make the valves open and shut quicker at the best time to give optimum combustion. I have been trying to find a way to blame valves or clearance problems but right now I can't think of any.

When dad had trouble with the skidoo and the over-size piston it started with the same problems your experiencing, would start perfect when cold, would work while on but if shut down would be a real pain to restart. Usually it would help to hold the throttle in a bit to give her that extra pop to get her goin and after that she would work till she was shut down again. It eventually came to the point I previously described where she shut down on her own.

I don't know what to say about the tranny, that's a weird one for sure. Sounds like it's next to destroyed. I'm seeing why this quad was gottin rid of, hope you got a real good deal.
K&N Air Filter
Power Madd Hand Guards

250 Moto 4 (Under Construction)
Project Bike
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM

i also have a 1998 yamaha warrior 350 i just purchased here about 2 weeks ago. heres the problem im having, put the key in hit the start button just cranks. push it 5 feet starts and runs fine ride it all day shut it off wait 10 15 minutes sometimes it starts right back from key sometimes it just cranks. i had valves adjusted, stator checked, carb cleaned, coil checked what else could it be?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 AM

e you ever tried to check the neutral saftey switch on the clutch perch? Take the panel off under the lights and unplug the switch and plug the wires between the froame together. If this does not help, try to replace the plug by the shifter. All else fails, replace the relay under the left rear fender. Or you can check to see if it shorts out. Pull the clutch lever in neutral to start it.